25 February 2012

Let's Get It Started!

As you may have read in my previous post, (Official Diagnosis.... In Over My Head) I might have gone a bit overboard with my seed purchasing this year. Well, we can't let all those seeds go to waste (plus I need to prove to Scott that all his eye-rolling at me was unnecessary because I can totally pull this off), so it was time to get planting.

After a recent "run-in" with Strongbow cider I have given up drinking so my bar seemed like the perfect place to transition into a make-shift greenhouse. The planters contain starts for 4 different kinds of onions, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, roma tomatoes, wax peppers, bell peppers, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, cayenne peppers, brussel sprouts, okra, eggplant, cauliflower, artichokes, cabbage, and leeks. As you can see we even have them in warming trays and under plant lights.

Looks like a good start to our summer garden. After a few weeks growing indoors they will hopefully be good and ready to transplant outdoors.

Now I'm just left to wonder which one will sprout first! Any guesses?

4 comments:

Scott Namestnik said...

I guess... cauliflower!

Steve said...

My money is on the asparagus. A month from now, it'll be a foot tall, but it will be 3-4 years before you can really harvest any, so pick a permanent spot to plant it.

Lindsay Namestnik said...

Congrats Scott, the cauliflower and cabbage did sprout first. As a reward you win 10 cauliflower plants that you are responsible for planting, weeding, and harvesting. Great Job!
Sorry Steve, no asparagus yet. We already have a few asparagus plants in a small raised bed that will be in their 3rd year so we are hoping to finally get some good ones. My packet came with more seeds so I decided we could never have enough asparagus, right?

Scott Namestnik said...

Lucky me.

Actually, I have to admit that I cheated and the cauliflower and cabbage had already started sprouting before I made my "guess." So, Lindsay, I'll relinquish my reward and allow you to handle the planting, weeding, and harvesting... but I'll eat it!